The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency works to create opportunities for economic growth in Atlantic Canada by helping businesses become more competitive, innovative and productive, by working with diverse communities to develop and diversify local economies, and by championing the strengths of Atlantic Canada. Together, with Atlantic Canadians, we are building a stronger economy.
With our many partners in economic development, ACOA works to strengthen the Atlantic economy through:
- Enterprise development – helping improve the business climate and lending a hand for individual business start ups, modernizations and expansions.
- Community development – working with communities to nurture economic growth, improve local infrastructure and develop opportunities in the local economy.
- Policy, advocacy and co-ordination – being a champion for Atlantic Canada by representing the region’s interests at the national level in areas like policy development, research and analysis and in work with other departments to ensure coordination of policies and programs.
ACOA puts special emphasis on initiatives that foster:
- Greater productivity
- Commercialization of innovative technologies
- Improved global competitiveness
- Skills development
ACOA has a long-standing commitment to tourism projects that support ACOA’s Growth Strategy for Tourism and contribute to the region’s economic growth.